Sunday, July 9, 2017

Dry Hopped Sour Saison (and Topper)

When it came time to bottle the Saison du Bruegel, I needed something to put on the yeast cake...I decided on a sour saison.  Brewed on 1-29-17.

While saisons are supposed to be slightly sour or notably bitter, people rarely do a sour one.  So, with the American style saison yeast (saison parfait from Bootleg Biology) and some Nelson Sauvin hops eyeballing me in the shop, I decided to make a sour, dryhopped saison. 



The grain bill is fairly simple, although heavy on the malty side, since I knew it would drop fairly dry, and I wanted some spine to the beer to balance the combination of sour and hop flavour.

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2 lbs 13.6 oz ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus) (4.0 SRM) Grain 1 34.4 %
2 lbs 4.4 oz Golden Promise (2.4 SRM) Grain 2 27.5 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 24.0 %
9.6 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.3 %
9.1 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 5 6.9 %
1.0 pkg Lactobacillus Blend (Omega #OYL-605) Yeast 6 -
1.0 pkg Saison Parfait (Bootleg Biology #BBX0104 ) Yeast 7 -
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 21.0 Days Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs





That lactobacillus blend is incorrect...I used a Swanson's probiotics pils.   

For the mash, I went with a three step, and included a low protein rest, something I have stopped doing since I have a feeling it is a reason for my lack of head retention.

Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Protein Rest Add 16.58 qt of water at 126.6 F 122.0 F 35 min
Saccharification Decoct 6.18 qt of mash and boil it 151.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min


This was actually a double brew day, brewed parti-gyle as a small portion of high gravity, and the moderate gravity of the saison.  The first portion was designed to top up the Crabapple wild.

Mashed in a bit low, hitting 115, decocted and hit the target 153.  Added 1.5 gallons of 160 water for mash out and pulled about 3 gallons. 

This was boiled separately for an hour, with .5oz of fuggle at 30 minutes, and .5 of Styrian golding at 4 minutes.  Pre-boil 1.042, post unknown, since it appeared to be the same...

The second part is about 4.75 gallons of 1.058 wort--I suspect that the conversion wasn't complete when I pulled the first runnings

OG: 1.063, FG: 1.008. 7.2%ABV
I am quite happy with it as a finished beer.  It isn't all that sour--not as much as I expected, but then I found that dryhopping does inhibit lactobacillus.  However, the balance is nice, with the blend of fruity hop flavour and sour, with enough malt to give the beer some body for low FG.


© John Frey, 2017. The Author of this work retains full copyright for this material.  The recipes and other contents therein may not be used for any commercial purposes.

















































No comments:

Post a Comment