Friday, November 27, 2015

Rye Tripel (1gal BIAB)

I have never had a rye beer.  There, I've said it.  This isn't for lack of desire, so much as I haven't really seen a good quality one in my area that wasn't also an IPA (most annoying, actually).  Therefore, I set out to make my own.

Still not the best pic, I know.

I decided on a Belgian ale, primarily because that is the yeast I have available in my fridge.  It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I really enjoy Belgian ales...really.  Originally, I was going for a lower ABV% "table bier"...sadly, I seem to have failed.  Oh well....a tripel it is.  It's a bit on the dark side for a tripel--Brewtarget says that it should be 11.8SRM--but I really don't care.  The Belgian brewing culture is not hung up on style guidelines like Americans tend to be.

I decided to use one of my favourite continental hops--Styrian Goldings--in moderation, with bittering and flavour charges, but not aroma; the brewing recipe calculator says "Slightly Malty"--almost perfect.  I like the Styrian Goldings in part because I can get them as leaf hops, which I prefer (less mess).  The rye makes up a significant portion of the mash--upwards of 30%--so that I could get nearly maximum rye flavour for me to pick out.
Because this is BIAB, no rice hulls are necessary.  And this time, I actually got pictures!





Belgian Rye Single


1.5 lb pale ale (52%)
1 lb rye malt (35%)
6 oz munich 30L (13%)
1 oz acidulated malt

16IBU Styrian goldings (40min
8ibu Styrian goldings (20 min)

Ommegang Yeast Culture


Mash at 152


I heavily press my grain, and ran about a cup of hot water through to help rinse.

Strike water 162, 2 gallons approx.  Mash in settled at 155—slightly high, but acceptable.  Lost 5 degrees in the first 20 minutes.  145 at 40min, and turned on the heat to bring it up to 149.  After the 1hour mash, I brought the temp up to 170 for mash out.
Pre-boil, 1.025 at 147 degrees.  1.044 corrected.

0.25oz Styrian Goldings (3.6AA) at first wort (16.41
0.2oz Styrian Goldings (3.9AA) at 20 min. (8.61
25.02IBU



Post boil (a touch over 1 gallon) 1.046 at 155degrees.  1.072 adjusted.  75% apparent efficiency—much, much better.

11-24-15; Started.  OG 1.072.  Pitched yeast warm.

12-14-15;  SG 1.022.  Going slow.

12-29-15; SG 1.017.  Flavour is nice, though.  Can't wait for it to finish fermenting and be bottled. 

2-3-16; I bottled today, adding 1 oz of sugar, 9 12oz bottles, labeled RT.  The SG did not change. 





© John Frey, 2015. The Author of this work retains full copyright for this material.  The recipes, photographs and other contents therein may not be used for any commercial purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment