Thursday, April 14, 2016

Radagast's Oud Bruin

Yup....three geeky beers made in two are correct.

I've been wanting to make an oud bruin for quite some time, but the area I live in is decidedly deficient of mixed fermentation blends (dregs aren't really available either).  So when I saw a pack of Roeselares at the LHBS, I snapped it up and started planning.

Because Radagast is the keeper of animals and Mirkwood forest, I wanted something that would evoke a dark, ancient forest; for some reason the name Oud bruin does so.  My end goal is a pleasantly sour, complex, fruity/malty, and earthy beer.  Naturally, I am raising the OG far higher than oud bruins normally are--if I am going to wait 8-12 months to bottle, I want something which will be satisfying.

Radagast's Old Bruin - Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin
Batch Size: 3.331 gal
Boil Size: 4.331 gal
Boil Time: 60.000 min
Efficiency: 75%
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.016
ABV: 8.6%
Bitterness: 9.9 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 27 SRM (Morey)

                Name  Type    Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
 Pilsner (2 Row) Bel Grain  8.000 lb    Yes   No   79%   2 L
      Special B Malt Grain 12.000 oz    Yes   No   65% 160 L
       Special Roast Grain  5.000 oz    Yes   No   72%  50 L
       Aromatic Malt Grain  4.000 oz    Yes   No   78%  26 L
           Acid Malt Grain  6.000 oz    Yes   No   59%   3 L
         Munich Malt Grain 12.000 oz    Yes   No   80%   9 L
   Cane (Beet) Sugar Sugar 12.800 oz     No   No  100%   0 L
   Candi Sugar, Dark Sugar  6.400 oz     No   No   78% 275 L
Total grain: 11.637 lb

        Name   Alpha   Amount  Use     Time   Form   IBU
   Pacific Gem  14.0%   0.200 oz   Boil    1.000 hr Pellet  11.45

              Name Type       Use   Amount    Time
 Mushrooms, Bolete Herb Secondary 0.400 oz 0.000 s

                      Name Type   Form    Amount   Stage
 Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale  Ale Liquid 0.479 cup Primary

 Name        Type    Amount      Temp    Target    Time
         Infusion 4.566 gal 135.239 F 128.600 F 0.000 s
      Temperature       ---       --- 155.600 F 0.000 s

Mashed in about 4 gallons of water, and hit the strike temp of 128 (bit higher than I would like).  I decided that with this batch, I'm going to use a combination of decoction and turbid mash, just as an experiment.  So to raise the temperature between rests, I will pull 2 quarts of thin mash, gently simmer it for 15 minutes, then slowly add it in to raise the temp by 5-8 degrees.  Which is being a pain, and I'm not trying it again for quite a while.  Finally managed to get the temp into the mid 140s--this was the most trouble I've had with temp control in quite a while.  And all because I tried to complicate things.

Pre-boil is 1.050 at 130 degrees, which is probably pretty close to target.

I sparged twice, with 1.5 gallons each time, first time was with 150 degree water, second around 125.  The grain bag was heavily squeezed both times, the new runnings brought to a boil, then added to the main kettle.  Second time I added the remainder of my homemade Candi syrup.  I used a 4 hour boil--yes, you read that right.  The long boil and multiple sparges let me squeeze all the sugary goodness out of my grain, plus added melanoidens.  Hops were added in a single addition at 60 minutes.

I ended up not adding the white sugar, and being as I forgot to grab the bolete mushroom, I will dry-shroom the beer (or more likely, make a broth with the mushroom and add it in a few days).

4-13-16; OG 1.092....jeeze.  Good thing I didn't add the sugar.  Roeselares pitched, most of the smack pack (a little went into the small amount of the Gaffer's homebrew, and into a gallon of Kedrigern's Brown).  Even though it was also expired, it swelled up (although not as much as it should have).

10-6-16; Mashing in the 1.5 gallon top up; 2lb pale, 10oz aromatic, 8oz munich, 3oz crystal 80, and 3oz special B.  150 mash for 1 hour.

I chiseled off 9.4 oz of chaga, but will probably measure by handfulls--two handfuls at first wort through the boil, and one during cooling  (some of the compounds are volatile). Standard 1 hour boil, and ambient cooling to extract more chaganess.  OG of the addition was 1.072 at 130 degrees.  After siphoning to the new carboy, I added two probiotic capsules, and will rack the oud broun to that fermenter in the morning.  The wort seems to have a slight earthy bitterness to it--probably needs more chaga--but I could be imagining it.
Added Dregs (built up) from a bottle of Calabaza Boreal.

© John Frey, 2016. The Author of this work retains full copyright for this material.  The recipes and other contents therein may not be used for any commercial purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment